The theory of Five Elements is based on Chinese philosophy used to describe interactions and relationships between things. The five elements which are wood, fire, earth, metal and water are believed to be the fundamental elements of everything in the universe in which interactions occur.
As human beings are part of the universe, our body structure, tendencies, temperaments, emotions, positive & negative behaviour, moods and illnesses can all be looked at in relation to the five elements. In fact, we are not a manifestation of only one element but all of the five elements, but what makes us different from one another is which of the elements is more or less dominant in relation to the others.
Typically, there are one or two elements that are predominant in a person. As each element is attributed to a certain personality archetype, knowing the primary or secondary element(s) that dominates our personalities can help increase our self-awareness, providing further insights into our lives and relationships with others.
By understanding your constitutional types, amongst others, you can learn about some of your strengths & weaknesses to better balance your mental, physical, emotional, spiritual health.
How to do the test: Check each statement that applies to you and then total the number of statements that you have checked for each group. Record the score for each group and at the end of the quiz, note the scores for each element. The higher the score, the higher the concentration of the element.
- enjoy being competitive and ambitious
- do well under deadlines
- act with assurance and confidence, regardless of what other people may think or feel
- am comfortable with difficult tasks or emergencies that require “thinking on my feet”
- enjoy public recognition and admiration of my talents and achievements
- am comfortable directing or leading others
- follow my own hunches about what is right or wrong
- will take the lead in order to get things done, if needed
- like being the first to try something new
- enjoy the process of striving against the odds
Group A total score:
- am generally a happy-go-lucky person and enjoy life
- enjoy physical contact and emotional intimacy
- can easily become passionate about a project that I believe in and can get other people to be enthusiastic about it as well
- am prone to anxiety
- am emotionally sensitive, responsive, and intuitive
- can become exhausted, to the point of crashing at times
- remain optimistic and hopeful despite what others may say or believe
- identify and sympathize with another’s joy and pain
- enjoy being attractive and magnetic
- can openly share my innermost feelings and desires
Group B total score:
- am often the go-to person by friends for advice and support
- tend to be the glue that keeps everyone together and go out of my way to make interactions harmonious, whether in social or family groups
- tend to put the needs of others ahead of own
- tend to worry a lot
- am very supportive of other people’s goals
- like things the way they are and generally resist change
- enjoy just being in the company of other people
- am generally agreeable and accommodating
- generally prefer working in groups than on own
- enjoy frequent socializing with friends and family
Group C total score:
- am a good organizer
- like to maintain a neat and orderly environment
- prefer to stay out of other people’s lives
- enjoy tasks that require logical, analytic & systematic approaches to problem solving
- am self disciplined
- thrive in a structured environment, where support systems are in place
- am seen as a quiet person by other people
- restrain myself in expressing my feelings or opinions
- put virtue and principles before pleasure and fulfillment
- like to remind people of rules and/or my work involves having people follow rules or procedures
Group D total score:
- enjoy frequent periods of solitude and introspection
- keep feelings, thoughts and opinions to myself
- don’t need a lot of money to be happy
- can see the bigger picture in situations
- can easily get lost in my own world
- do not like to rely on others and consider ownself to be independent
- am considered unusual or eccentric
- am content being anonymous or on the periphery of social events
- would rather stay at home with a good book than attend a large social event
- consider myself to be candid and direct in my communications and have been known to hurt others’ feelings as a result
Group E total score:
Group A: Wood
Group B: Fire
Group C: Earth
Group D: Metal
Group E: Water
Quick Profile of Each Element
Wood – Confident
Wood type people enjoys and does well under pressure and like to be the first, best and only. But they can become impatient, intolerant and have volatile emotions. They are susceptible to headaches, muscle spasms, high blood pressure, nerve inflammations, migratory pain.
Fire – Uplifting
Fire type people loves sensation, drama, and sentiment. They like to be hot, bright, vibrant and believes in the power of charisma and desire. However, they are susceptible to anxiety, agitation frenzy, bizarre perceptions, nervous exhaustion and insomnia.
Earth – Compassionate
Earth type people wants to be involved and needed. They seek harmony, togetherness and insist upon loyalty, security and predictability. However, they tend to worry, self-doubt and are overprotective. They are susceptible to lethargy, unruly appetites, water retention and muscle tenderness.
Metal – Zen
Metal type people likes definition, structure and discipline. They respect virtue, discretion, authority and seek to live according to reason and principle. However, they are seen as indifferent, strict, formal, distant and unnatural. They are susceptible to stiff joints and muscles, dry skin & hair and are sensitive to climate.
Water – Philosopher
Water type people are clever, introspective, seek knowledge and like to remain hidden, enigmatic and anonymous. However, they are seen as isolated, lonely, tactless and unforgiving. They are susceptible to the hardening of arteries, deterioration of teeth and gums, and backaches.
Now that you know your Element, are you interested to find out more? Find out what this says about your (i) relationships (ii) diet management (iii) skin type (iv) physical build (v) digestion! Let us know which you'd most like to read about next! [email protected]